28 Weeks (as of yesterday!)

Yesterday was my 28 week mark. I would absolutely love to say it has been uneventful and boring getting to this point but that would be a lie. The truth is, I’ve been very uncomfortable and I already measure 39 weeks so I’m basically as big as someone full-term with a singleton. Ahh..it’s kind of unbelievable I have at least 10 weeks left.
Lately, I’ve had quite a bit going on where the babies are concerned. It seems they are trying to make early escape attempts but we’re trying to keep them put for a while longer. On Sunday, I was in Labor and Delivery for hours because of regular contractions that caused my cervix to dilate to 1cm (it’s also 50% effaced). They hooked me up to the monitors and everything and decided I needed a shot of terbutaline. Well, that didn’t go as expected. About 5 minutes after receiving the shot I started having trouble breathing, I was extremely light-headed, my vison was swimming, and I was sure I was going to puke. It seems the medicine made my blood pressure drop very quickly–to 66/34. The nurse when she saw that kind of ran out of the room to get help and to retrieve a bag of fluids. After getting oxygen and some of the fluids in me, I felt a lot better. The other downside to the terbutaline was that it didn’t stop my contractions but did slow them down–but only a little. After that the doctor did a fetal fibronectin test which negative thankfully so we know I have less than a one percent chance of going into full labor within the next 10 to 14 days (from Sunday). It was after that that he did the cervical exam.
I was sent home shortly after the negative fFN test with no restrictions and no meds in case contractions started like that again. Then Monday rolled around. I was having a lot of contractions again but didn’t want to call in and be labeled as “the little boy who cried wolf” since the office I go to makes you feel stupid everytime you go in even if there is something wrong. For me, at the start of feeling like something isn’t right I call because it takes me an hour to get to the office and a little longer to get to the hospital. So, after not calling on Monday and getting the contractions under control by resting and upping my water intake, the same thing happened again on Tuesday.
Yesterday when I was contracting again, the contractions felt stronger and were more frequest so I called in. The work-in doctor immediately had me come in but I still had to wait for over an hour to be seen since the nurses forgot to let her know I had arrived. Of course by the time she did a cervical check (she came to the same conclusion the other doctor did (1cm and 50%)) and ordered a NST the contractions were slowing down. Since I was dilated though Dr. Z decided to start me on my first steroid shot and she ordered a growth scan and cervical check since I should have been scheduled for both this week but the last doctor I saw must have forgotton or something. The scan showed my cervical length to be 3.6cm and revealed that I’m only dilated on the outside layer, not the second one as well (which is good but I can’t remember what the two layers were called in order to tell you). As far as the growth scan went, the babies are doing very well. They are estimated to weigh 2lbs 12oz (A) and 2lbs 10 oz (B). After that I was able to leave with a prescription to get a months supply of Procardia to be taken 3 times a day. I’m just glad that this doctor decided to be proactive instead of saying “let’s wait and see” like the others do and like she has done before. Hopefully we can keep these babies cookin’ a while longer!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s